End of 2016 OMRSCCA Solo Season review

Announcements and news concerning OMRSCCA business.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox, springfielddyno, Ted Wells

flogger

End of 2016 OMRSCCA Solo Season review

Post by flogger » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:41 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6OATc ... sp=sharing

Here's a very rough spreadsheet of growth and historical attendance of OMR SCCA Solo events. I'm told that data of ~6 years old and older may be missing some events, but this is all the data we have available, so I'm going with it. Still, pay more attention to the avg # of attendees per event rather than the totals per season due to possible missing data.

Note that 2 events this year were affected greatly by weather. Event #1 only had 71 attendees (less than preregistrations, if I remember right) because it was very cold. Typically we have had 25%-40% more attendees than people preregistered, so the weather affected this event a lot. Event #5 had less attendees than expected because of a heat wave. I missed this one with a nasty stomach flu. I also didn't include this year's post season event because it's structure was totally different and it had an attendance cap on it.

Anyhow, the gist of it is that we are now within the sweetspot of how many entrants we want at our events - especially when you consider our weather affected results this year. We've made great strides over the last couple of years at improving cross training of work assignments and our core volunteers have really stepped up. I've been getting more and more offers from people wanting to be included in these more responsible work positions, and I'm thrilled to see this happen. Our events keep getting better and word continues to spread and we're getting both more new members and guests from other regions. I have no doubt that promotion via Facebook has helped a bunch too.

At the post season fundraising event we had something bizarre happen. The new T&S software hadn't arrived yet, and both of our sets of timing and scoring equipment failed in an identical and strange way. In both cases the power switch wouldn't work right. We pulled out the ancient, old equipment (fortunately, we had some ancient, old members who remembered how it worked ;-) ) and we ran a terrific event. It was probably the most fun and most seat time I've had at an autocross event in a decade. Kudos to Jim Rowland for the idea.

Anyhow, the switches are getting replaced with upgraded ones for $50 total, and the new software is here. I'm convinced that the new T&S software will be a very big next step at making our events even better.

The OMRSCCA Solo program is very strong, and I'm very much looking forward to next season.
Scott Woosley