ideas to help recruit new people.

Announcements and news concerning OMRSCCA business.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox, springfielddyno, Ted Wells

scoTT

ideas to help recruit new people.

Post by scoTT » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:11 am

I thought this would be a good place to bounce around Ideas for recruiting new people....Not really advertising, but making the events more enjoyable/tolerable for some. lets here some ideas...

If you have an Idea but cant post it...just IM me or another person in the volunteer committee (moderator on the forum) and we will post it for you and give you credit for the idea...

my Idea is to have an EZ-UP per corner sation...I think someone else mentioned this at the meeting but couldnt remeber who... it would help with the sun a lot and maybee people wouldnt mind being out there as much. here is a pic for reference

Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l

magilson

Post by magilson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:08 pm

pink umbrella for life...
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:01 pm

As much as you guys don't care for the 417 guys, they do have a good idea they are working on ... Toys for Tots cruise. Bring a unwrapped toy and get a entry for every $5 of the purchase price in a drawing for $50 at the end of the cruise.

Just like the bikers, gearheads have a bad public image brought on by idiot kids on the streets and movies like Fast n the Furious. The SCCA needs to be more open minded and look to change that if they ever expect to grow. The way I saw the SCCA before coming to OMR was that the SCCA was a bunch of nerdy college preps with fancy cars who were as approachable as the President. Luckily I met Chris and Ben at Metagames where I was co-hosting a Gran Turismo 3 league. Because I actually knew someone there, I was more inclined to check it out first hand. When Chris and I were at the National Championships, I was approached by two younger guys (possible next gen SCCA AXers) that really wanted to learn and expirience the sport but the people they tried to speak to saw them as punk kids and not as interested automotive enthusiasts. I took them to the site and showed them around and I saw a couple of young men's faces light up like they were little boys at Christmas.

Maybe OMR could consider a Big Brother/Sister program to help acquiant people with the SCCA and the sport. I still think local Driver's Ed teachers should be giving a call to help their students learn better control of thier cars.

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:14 pm

tent is a good idea, but scca regs wouldn't allow it. well unless you are 75' away.... :(

I think more charity events or drives would be a good idea, anything to get the word out to the community that we are good fellas
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:59 pm

tent is a good idea, but scca regs wouldn't allow it. well unless you are 75' away....

thats dumb....I thought it was 75' from an unmoveable object.....I'm sure if I hit the tent with my Rabbit I could move it... 8)
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:40 am

I remember being told not to advertise the Region.
crazy eddie wrote:As much as you guys don't care for the 417 guys,
So why is there an ad for the last AX posted there :?: :roll:

http://417racing.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Please don't tell me the committee is already becoming the BoD. :?

It's only a good idea if we come up with it. :shock:

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:14 pm

crazy eddie wrote:I remember being told not to advertise the Region.

http://417racing.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Please don't tell me the committee is already becoming the BoD. :?

It's only a good idea if we come up with it. :shock:
I'm not sure how we can be responsible for a person (who is not in the committe, or an SCCA member, nor has he yet autocrossed with ORM) freely copying what is openly posted here on OMR on any other place on the internet.

If you are suggesting we make this forum completely private I would have to disagree and it would also appear to be the opposite of what you want OMR to acheive (at least that is the impression I get after reading what are often unecessarily condescending posts).

lighten up man. It's just a car club. :)
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Did I ask you or the committee to be responsible for the intellectual postings being copied from this site?

No.

I did ask why there was a post on the 417 forums.

Answer : It was not any of us.

Scanning for any mention of making this forum completely private.

None located - Freedom of Speech still engaged.
(at least that is the impression I get after reading what are often unecessarily condescending posts)
[insert unnecessarily condescending post]

When I stop posting it means I stop caring what happens to OMR, then it becomes JUST a car club.

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 pm

crazy eddie wrote:Did I ask you or the committee to be responsible for the intellectual postings being copied from this site?

No.

I did ask why there was a post on the 417 forums.

Answer : It was not any of us.
Ed, you said:
crazy eddie wrote:I remember being told not to advertise the Region.
From this I got the impression that you were upset because you were told not to advertise in the region and yet someone had. In fact judging by your last sentence and following "smiley" I might even be excused for thinking you were using sarcasm to express anger that someone else was doing what you felt you were asked not to do. I simply explained that unless the forum was kept completely private it would be impossible for anyone to stop regional advertising. I fail to see how keeping the forum private would have anything to do with freedom of speech, either.

If in fact you realized he wasn't a member of the BoD or a committee member and you also knew nothing could be done about it then may I ask why you posted about it at all?
(at least that is the impression I get after reading what are often unnecessarily condescending posts)

[insert unnecessarily condescending post]
I hate it when I'm right. I really do.
crazy eddie wrote:When I stop posting it means I stop caring what happens to OMR, then it becomes JUST a car club.
crazy eddie wrote:Please don't tell me the committee is already becoming the BoD. Confused

It's only a good idea if we come up with it. Shocked
It honestly really bothers me when you act like this, Ed. It gives me the impression that you don't take what the committee is trying to accomplish seriously. It also leaves me wondering if you are capable of positive contribution. I don't think anyone would turn down your help when it's constructive, but I don't see how you can think your current method's are going to work. I think we all just want to drive some cars. This kind of participation isn't helping anyone accomplish anything.

If I'm wrong then feel free to IM me and we can take this out of a thread not meant for where it's being led.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

zoomzoom

Marketing Ideas

Post by zoomzoom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:20 am

I'd like to see the SCCA spend a few dollars for printed cards (business card size), for marketing purposes. The cards could simply have the OMR website address, along with a snappy question such as "Do you want to improve your drivings skills and explore the handling limits of your car? If so, please visit www.omrscca.org for information on local SCCA autocrosses."

Each day, I run across numerous cars in parking lots that are obviously driven by young car enthusiasts. I would just keep some of these cards in my car, and stick them under the windshield wiper of prospective participants.

If we could get several members to do this, it should increase participation. This is a grass roots approach, but bet it would work. Of course, the next step would be to formalize an orientation for newbies at each event.

I'm also pretty confident I can get the NewsLeader to run an article on SCCA autocrosses this coming spring, as I know the Exec. Editor, and have already had a conversation about this.

magilson

Re: Marketing Ideas

Post by magilson » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 am

zoomzoom wrote:I'd like to see the SCCA spend a few dollars for printed cards (business card size), for marketing purposes. The cards could simply have the OMR website address, along with a snappy question such as "Do you want to improve your drivings skills and explore the handling limits of your car? If so, please visit www.omrscca.org for information on local SCCA autocrosses."

Each day, I run across numerous cars in parking lots that are obviously driven by young car enthusiasts. I would just keep some of these cards in my car, and stick them under the windshield wiper of prospective participants.

If we could get several members to do this, it should increase participation. This is a grass roots approach, but bet it would work. Of course, the next step would be to formalize an orientation for newbies at each event.

I'm also pretty confident I can get the NewsLeader to run an article on SCCA autocrosses this coming spring, as I know the Exec. Editor, and have already had a conversation about this.
The question truely is, as I'm sure Ed is screaming right now, that it had been mentioned that advertising the club could be an issue.

Personally, though, i think it would work. I created a simple business card for MoEuro, hosted it for anyone to download, and I can go to Staples and buy business card stock for ten dollars that will print up 300 cards.

That's so cheap I wouldn't even ask to be reimbursed. And with MoEuro it has worked with enough success that I'd say it would be worth trying.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 pm

There still may be some omrscca.org business cards in the trailer. Sarah had a ton made a couple of years ago and handed them out. I know I have a small pile in the glove box of the Sentra, and gave out a couple this year.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:42 pm

I like that idea.....its not in your face....but it gets the point across.... have the website on there so they can just look around for a while if they want...... then if they have a free weekend...maybee they will come.....
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l