NewLeader Weekend Section

Announcements and news concerning OMRSCCA business.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox, springfielddyno, Ted Wells

zoomzoom

NewLeader Weekend Section

Post by zoomzoom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Would it make sense to submit April's Solo2 event information to the NewsLeader's 'Weekend' section, that publishes each Thursday? The event has to be submitted a week in advance, and is supposed to include a phone number. I noticed a few events that referenced a website and e-mail address, as opposed to providing a phone number.

This might be a good way to attract some new members. Let me know what you think...

Also, I know the Exec. Editor, and can probably get them to take a look at an article on our events (if we think this is smart).

Thoughts?????

zoomzoom

JimR

Post by JimR » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:10 pm

We have to be careful about the way we advertise. Unless we make a special application for a spectator event, we are officially a non-spectator affair. Anyone who shuffles into the site out of curiosity is allowed, but we can't specifically encourage anything but registering and competing in the event.

The word "racing" is another must-avoid. We're a timed showcase of driver skill. "Racing" attracts burnouts, donuts, and general ricing around that send a bad message to the community. Or at least a glut of rubber-neckers and gawkers who aren't much good for anything beyond wandering into hot areas on course and getting run over.

If newcomers can be channeled here first, where they can read about autocrossing and participating before they arrive, that's a must. A thoughtfully worded interest article after the fact could do that. Something that nets all the goobers in the area before the fact, not so much. You might work the connection to the paper.

Here's a recent USA Today article:
http://usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-03-12-racing_N.htm
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD