www.omrscca.org 2009 Edition

Announcements and news concerning OMRSCCA business.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox, springfielddyno, Ted Wells

magilson

www.omrscca.org 2009 Edition

Post by magilson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:28 am

The season is done and I now have ambition to work on the website rather than scramble to prepare for each event both as a Autocross Committee Member and as a competitor.

Item 1: I like the theme of the website. I also think that it's fairly easy to find information on our site compared to the other regional sites. I would personally like to keep the theme and the overall information on the next version of the site.

Item 2: This is the tricky part. phpBB is an annoying forum software and there are many more out there that are significantly better at creating a "community" atmosphere. I personally don't care that much. If we want to keep the forums simple and keep this one I'm fine with it. I can integrate it simply into the new site. In fact my plan is to integrate it such that it doesn't appear that we have two sites.

The better forums out there usually don't upgrade from this old a version of phpBB but some can. We can also just upgrade this forum to the latest version. It should also be said that the problems we have been having lately are not big ones but just need more attention than we have been able to give them. In short we have a very small number of people doing most of the work and answering to a large group of people who do little. It's harsh but it's the truth.

Item 3: I have quite a few ideas for registration. I have no plan to write my own. I have no interest in re-inventing the wheel. This registration will be controlled by us. I have no plans for taking pre-payment. I suppose we could do it by making an OMR Paypal account and I think it would work well. There are several regions that offer a pre-payment discount ($20 for members, $30 for non-members) and registration on site adds $10 to both totals. That technique is generally used by large attendance regions. The 2009 OMR Board can make those decision.

As with any outcome of these items I would integrate a calendar, a document repository, a novice section, and event section, etc.

I need people's thoughts. Only the Autocross Committee can post here but we can all recieve PM's.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

magilson

Post by magilson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:22 am

SilverYota wrote:
Item 1: I couldn't agree more, the overall layout is well thought out and intuitive. When you click the Event information link on the side of the main page all of the important stuff is covered. The location (with directions and map), scheduled events, and what is expected of participants all being spelled out on the same page is so much better than other regions that I have looked at. I feel this is very important especially for first time participants, it at least gives them a head start of knowing what they need to do.

Item 2: This is actually something I wouldn't mind helping with. I will need to do some learning first as building webpages and moderating forums is something I have never done. It is about time I learned though and I am sure my loving wife could give me a few lessons as she builds the webpage for her work.

Item 3: I think that an online form (some kind of 'Click here to register' and then fill in the blanks) would probably help with getting more people to pre-register with more accuracy. I think that pre-pay is a bad idea as it will never fail that someone will be arguing at the trailer saying they already paid, and registration showing that they haven't. It wouldn't really matter who or what went wrong, someone would walk away upset or feeling like they were being cheated somehow.

Sounds like you have a lot of good ideas and I hope I can help implement some of them to make this better (even if just a little bit) for everyone.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:43 am

you able to login alright?
I replied to your message last week but not heard anything back and seen no files go up :)

Just checkin not pushing ;)
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:29 am

Crazy_Dog wrote:you able to login alright?
I replied to your message last week but not heard anything back and seen no files go up :)

Just checkin not pushing ;)
I started the website on my home PC two weekends ago. This last weekend I was at work the whole time and will be again this weekend. Slow economy... :roll:

Anyway the way this type of site works I can't just move it around. It's kind of like a program on a computer in that the files are registered in a certain place and just moving them around is a no-no. Everything is edited from the web program itself.

Once I know I have about three solid days to commit to it I'll start the change. Of course since the old site is so simple and I'll have backed it up I can simply "restore" it should anything go wrong or anyone have objections.

I haven't even tried to log in yet, so I can't really answer all of your questions. I did get the info via e-mail, though. Thanks!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

magilson

Post by magilson » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Here's a bit of progress. Still quite a bit to go...

http://omrscca.org/test/
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI