Heat cycle tires??

Need Help? Willing to Help? Post it here.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

The Huff

Heat cycle tires??

Post by The Huff » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:27 pm

I just got my new tire and wheel set up, but I was to cheap after the expense I just paid to get the heat cycle done. Does anyone know if the trip to Neosho from Clever would be a sufficient heat cycle. Or, Does AutoX it's self work as it's own heat cycling since the course is so short?
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 pm

What kind of tires?

If they're race-only R-comps like V710's or A6's, I wouldn't drive them from home to the event site. There's such a thing as too many heat cycles if you make a habit of driving them to and from the site over and over. Soft race tires will get hard from a lot of street use, and will still wear fast.

The initial heat cycle is what they're talking about. A short drive down the highway and back should get them up to temperature. After that, put your street tires back on, and let the race tires sit for at least a day, according to Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=66&

But really, I've driven plenty of R-comps without a bit of initial heat cycling, and life didn't seem much different. Last year, I drove the MR2 up to the start line with the Hoosier stickers still on the tires, because Bobby didn't pull them off. :lol:
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 pm

I didn't heat cycle my NT01's and they seemed to do fine. I don't think I'll worry about it and if they wear prematurely, it will be a lesson learned.
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:59 pm

justin, look at this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=155 for the break-in procedure. you'll get a lot more life and better stick first time out if you go thru the heat cycle. it's a bit of a pain. (i'll bet next time you won't be too cheap)

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:00 pm

and what jim said. :wink:

mulkio

Post by mulkio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:59 pm

I think NT01's are a lot more durable than V710's or A6's. I've beat the shit out of my NT01's, drive to events, gravel parking lots, 4 months solid last summer( heat cycled myself ). I think you should cycle them yourself.

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 pm

I plan on driving on them for a while around the back roads to give them a good scuffin, but next time, I think I'll just fork out the cash.
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.