New SCCA Solo class - CAM (Classic American Muscle)

Motorsports banter, suggestions, ideas, and general armchair racing.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

flogger

New SCCA Solo class - CAM (Classic American Muscle)

Post by flogger » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Unrestricted engine, suspension and brakes, all on 200 treadwear street tires. Sounds like a lot of tire melting fun.

http://www.solomatters.com/introducing- ... muscle-cam
Scott Woosley

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Stan, have you seen this :lol:
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Sounds like the PERFECT build-class for my (pre-stripped by despicable thieves, may they rot in hell) RoadRunner....
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Fun

///msh

Post by ///msh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 pm

I hope it is a throw back to good, old fashioned, pony car (read bang for buck), American muscle show case...I'm thinking Mustang/Camaro shoot out although, IMO, neither would be class car as written.....

So, what do u guys believe the class car to be?????

Cheers.

///msh

Post by ///msh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:09 pm

I hope it is a throw back to good, old fashioned, pony car (read bang for buck), American muscle show case...I'm thinking Mustang/Camaro shoot out although, IMO, neither would be class car as written.....

So, what do u guys believe the class car to be?????

Cheers.

flogger

Post by flogger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am

As written, the class overdog ought to be a modern Z06. That's not really the point, though. I think the class is more about giving the Pro Touring muscle car guys their own sandbox to play in, which is not a bad idea and reflective of some other things going on nationwide with other organizations. Unfortunately, it may turn out to be a catchall location for less competitive ESP, FS, and SS cars. We'll have to see, but given that it's an attempt to draw in new, additional participants, I'm all for it.
Scott Woosley

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Autocross is only one part of the pro touring experience (scape test, reliability run, show, vendors, etc.), and from what I've seen, those events don't typically have a very large or challenging autocross course. They could really have some fun on a bigger Solo site with an experienced course designer. Those cars are meant to be driven.

Limited traction will equalize a lot of cars, and modern vehicles have a hard time getting down to the weight some of the classics enjoy. I hope some show up.

I think I would build a Plymouth Prowler for CAM. It's almost entirely bonded aluminum, has a fairly sophisticated suspension, and the interior is modern and comfortable. All it needs is a potent drivetrain. Kind of like building a pre-war hot rod for CAM, but without re-engineering every single subsystem at great pain and expense. You might even have to ballast up to the 3k minimum weight.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Prowler is interesting idea
A z06 with much weight pulled out would be hard to beat.

They should exclude c4-c6 vettes if it starts to take off?

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Interesting discussion on this going on right now on another forum:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/445006
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 am

IMO :idea:

There should be a year limit of nothing newer than 1980.

No "kit cars" allowed since most kits can build in late model tech into the suspension which takes the muscle aspect away from the class.

Already I see some people not retaining what they read by commenting about LSX Miatas when the rules state AMERICAN made. The year limit needs to eliminate the LSX Solstice/Skye.

I saw comments regarding losing the sports car aspect of the club but do remember that road racing Camaros, Trans Ams, Mustangs, Challengers, Cudas, Javelins, AMXs, etc... are also a big part of the SCCA history and the history of road racing.

I would love to have my Dart GTS back and attack the cones with it.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing