SOLO Event #8 :: 10/27/2013

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

SilverYota

SOLO Event #8 :: 10/27/2013

Post by SilverYota » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 pm

OMRSCCA SOLO Event #8
Sunday, Oct 27th, 2013
Crowder Truck Driving School
Neosho, Missouri [Map]

Register Online!
[Click for online registration powered by MotorsportReg]
Note: 2013 events will use online registration via MotorsportReg. Additional registration instructions here.

Event Information Car Numbers and Classes
Car Numbers are exclusive for the 2013 season, meaning only one person is allowed to run a number during the entire year no matter what class you are in (e.g. Car number 76 Matt L in STC, you would not be able to use 76 even if you ran a different class). During pre-registration if a # is not shown when it is time to pick your car # then it is already in use this year.

Amenities
There are gas stations, WalMart, and fast food on Highway 59 about a mile North of the intersection of MO-D. There is no air available at the site, so prepare accordingly. We anticipate making lunch available on-site.

Directions from Springfield
Take I-44 to US 71 South, and exit at Highway 60 Neosho/Seneca. Go East to the light at US 59/71B (WalMart will be on your right). Turn right to go South on 59, and follow the signs for Crowder College and Highway MO-D. Turn left onto MO-D, and it will take you straight to Crowder College. Once you reach the stop sign at the entrance of Crowder, turn right onto Doniphan and head towards the windmill. Turn left just past the windmill, and follow the SCCA signs and cones to the site.

Coming from somewhere else? Plug it into Google Maps:
[Google Maps - Crowder College]

Run / Work
If we have over 80 entrants, we will go to a three-heat format based on a first-come, first-served basis:

Work heat 1 / Drive heat 3
Work heat 2 / Drive heat 1
Work heat 3 / Drive heat 2

Work assignments will be balanced to ensure even work coverage for all stations in all heats. If you show up at the last minute, your choice may be full. If you show up late, you will not be able to participate at all!

Coming from somewhere else? Plug it into Google Maps:
[Google Maps - Crowder College]

Site Map - click to view

See you there!
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:44 am

Course design should be out to Justin in a day or two. :wink:
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:32 pm

No gimmicks please. Nat tour type course and speeds. :wink:

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 pm

springfielddyno wrote:No gimmicks please. Nat tour type course and speeds. :wink:
<sighs> OK, Korry and I will start tearing-down the "Loop-the-Loop" and jump-ramp...

<shakes>

All that work!
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Well the jump ramp will be fine.

I promise I'll hit it flat. I know mark values his car too much. :shock: :D

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:10 pm

springfielddyno wrote:No gimmicks please. Nat tour type course and speeds. :wink:
That's my intent each and every time.

Closest thing to a gimmick in this one is a three cone optional slalom.

Justin has mail.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Im looking for one or two volunteers to help with course set up on Saturday.

I set the last course up 100% on my own and I'd rather not do that again. Just one additional set of hands / feet really helps a lot.

I'm still waiting for confirmation from Justin but I'm planning to be on site by 12pm (noon).

Post here if you are interested. I only need one or two people max.

Thanks.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:17 pm

I would offer, Korry - but we're both going to be @ Perryville on Saturday.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

JimR

Post by JimR » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Kudos to Korry for an excellent course. Most regional autocrosses don't give you a taste of what you might encounter at Solo Nationals where fast and high flow with lots of sweepers is the name of the game. Cars are looser at speed, and I've shown up at Lincoln to chase the car around because I don't get any practice at home. This course was not unlike half of a Nationals course.

Great weather, and I took ten runs for $30 thanks to the ample time for fun runs.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 pm

JimR wrote:Kudos to Korry for an excellent course. Most regional autocrosses don't give you a taste of what you might encounter at Solo Nationals where fast and high flow with lots of sweepers is the name of the game. Cars are looser at speed, and I've shown up at Lincoln to chase the car around because I don't get any practice at home. This course was not unlike half of a Nationals course.

Great weather, and I took ten runs for $30 thanks to the ample time for fun runs.
Yes. Best omr course in years! First time I've done fun runs in years!

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Results have been posted.

Sam, congrats on AOTY I know how hard you've worked on the SOLO program this year and it is deserved.

Korry I wish you had more space to set up even more terrific course, I'm sure that is the only way that could have been any better. Anyone who missed this course today should be kicking themselves right about now, it really was just that good.

Thanks as always to all the great volunteers, it is everyone working together that makes these events run smoothly. While we are done with the SOLO program this year we still have a Road Rally and Rallycross left, hope to see you there.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:15 pm

I am sincerely happy that everyone seemed to enjoy the course.

I try to put a lot of thought into the course designs and it obviously takes quite a bit of work to set them up. That would all be pointless if nobody liked what I did.

I usually strive to replicate some small portion of a national level course. Selfishly, I attend national level events and need the practice. :wink:

However, I also remember being shellshocked by my first national event. I had simply never seen a course that big or fast. I didn't know what to do with it or with the car because I had never been exposed to that sort of thing locally. New(er) guys.... send me a thank you email someday. :mrgreen:

Sam, congratulations. The trophy is well deserved.

A short video...

http://youtu.be/kd4OUcLZkYg
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 am

Great course and event. I'm sorry I wasn't in the Autocrosser of the Year chase this time, but not being involved gave me a bit of detachment to observe the drama that was unfolding in the final event that I might have missed otherwise.

And what a chase it was. Mark Foley missed the first event of the year which put him behind by 15 points at the start. Even though he had three 1st place PAX finishes in a row from April to June, Sam hung in there with three 2nds to go with his 1st place in March. Mark caught up to within 4 points in August when Opie won and Mark was 2nd with Sam getting a 3rd. That set the stage for the final two events.

October's first autocross saw Korry taking 1st PAX with Sam getting 2nd and Mark 3rd. OMR rules allow each driver to count their best six finishes. But since Mark only had five events points to count at that time, he could move up a lot just by scoring high in the final event. Sam, on the other hand, could only improve by placing higher than his lowest finish of the year, a 3rd. Therefore Sam had to place 1st or 2nd to improve and Mark just had to finish close to Sam to be the new AOTY champ.

Sam showed up with his game face on, and his best game tires too I think. Sam's brother Martin was enlisted as Sam's tire warmer in the Miata, and also to maybe put one more place, and points, between himself and Mark. Sam even got dad Lester to drive Martin's Nismo to keep the track good and warm.

Mark was not without a trick of his own. He and Opie determined that Opie's car just might be a little faster, or maybe the Hoosiers were newer, so that Mark jumped into Opie's car for the final two runs. Alas, despite his best effort, Mark could not on this particular day improve his finishing position leaving Sam with yet another AOTY trophy.

It was fun to watch. Congratulations Sam! Well done.

Bud